Last night we had the opportunity to attend a Social Media Week event that focused on using social media for your job search. Presented by The Daily Muse, The 140 Character Resume Event hosted a panel of hiring managers from NPR, Mashable, NBC and AppNexus to share insights on how to use social media, and twitter in particular, for your job search.
Here are the top 10 Do’s and Don’ts of the discussion:
- Do tailor your Social Media presence to who you want to be professionally
- Do not ask hiring managers or oragnizations if they received your resume
- Do share point of view of topics and highlight interests/skills in context
- Do start a conversation with someone you do not know
- Do not ask for a favor from someone you do not know
- Do tweet your resume and include the hashtag #twesume!
- Do put keywords in your bio – Hiring managers have a way to search these!
- Do create and curate content
- Do maintain a consistent voice and use proper grammar
- Do not thank or followup after an interview via Social Media
To check out more insights from the event, search #SMW140Resume on Twitter and stay tuned to the DailyMuse for an event recap and photos.
(Photo courtesy of @Guestofaguest)